But at the same time, James and I are part of a local church here in the Philippines. We also try to contribute what we can to that ministry during weekends. James has led growth groups and conducted various types of training for the members, and I helped launch the women's ministry. Then I decided to take a breather and rest during the weekends. (I'm not getting any younger, you know!)
Not long after that, two young women from our church approached me, separately, and asked me to disciple them. Honestly, I wanted to continue my time of rest! But they were eager to learn, so I said I would do it IF we met only twice a month, IF we met in my home (so I don't have to go out), IF they would be the ones to do all the organizing, xeroxing, reminders, etc., and IF they were serious about applying what they learned. They agreed!
Jay-ar is finishing her bachelor's degree in physical therapy in the afternoons, which she finances by teaching in an online English school for Koreans every morning.
So, about two years ago, I started discipling Ayvee and Jay-ar. We are slowly working our way through a book published by Campus Crusade for Christ called The Significant Woman. We are taking it at a leisurely pace. Sometimes we take a break and I bring them to IGSL to meet some of our students there, and give them an opportunity to learn Indian or Thai cooking.
My goal is not to make them into international cooks, but to help them understand God's heart for reaching His world. That's why I like them to meet people at IGSL from the 10-40 window and listen to their testimonies. Did I mention we are taking it slowly? My goal is not to finish the book, but to give them a heart for God and a heart for missions. It may take us a year to finish the book, but that's okay! Sometimes we just meet together to have lunch and pray. Actually, "The Significant Woman" is not about missions, it's about finding your part in God's plan, but anyone who is discipled by me is going to find the focus is on missions, no matter what material I use!I've never conducted a discipleship group this way before! I'm usually much more focused and intense, because our IGSL students are with us for a limited time and we have a lot to accomplish. But Ayvee and Jay-Ar and I are enjoying this relaxed approach and they are growing.
Jay-Ar recently started a seeker's Bible study at her physical therapy school. She has 10 regular members, and several other casual attenders. I'm so encouraged! Both of these ladies are seeing God change their hearts, their character, and most important, their priorities in life. I am very privileged to be a part of it.
1 comment:
I'm blessed and privileged to have met these two beautiful and gifted ladies this week. Thank you, Ate, for introducing me to them. I'm excited to see what the Lord has for them in the near future. He would not have put them under your care if He has no special plan for them ;-)
Ruth
Post a Comment