Thursday, April 01, 2010

I Love Bougainvillea!

It's summer in the Philippines. It's hot. Really hot. It's not my favorite time of the year. But there are a few things I do love about summer in the Philippines. And one of them is bougainvillea.
. Since we are in the tropics, all the plants are full of green leaves all year around. But in summer they explode in a riot of color.
.My friend Judy in Thailand posted about bougainvillea recently and reminded me that they are worth celebrating! So today I took a short walk around our neighborhood with my camera. All of these photos were shot within a few blocks of our home -- no need to go to a botanical garden for this kind of beauty! Thanks, Judy, for the inspiration.
.Some people take care of their plants meticulously, pruning them and shaping them to fit in their private gardens. But often, you will see the rich cascade of pink and fuschia flowing over a rusted fence or a broken wall. Those are my favorites!
.
The most common colors in our area are white and fuschia, but sometimes we see pink, yellow, salmon and pale lavender.
.
I love them because they are not timid. They flow in wild profusion, beautifying everything in their path!
.

1 comment:

The Christian's said...

:) bloggin bougainvillea buddies!