Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No Sleep, No Regrets

Yesterday another couple in our IGSL family welcomed a new baby. I didn't get to go into the delivery room this time and hold the mother's hand; it was a Cesarean and the hospital is a bit more strict in those cases. But I did get to hold the new baby a few minutes after he was born. This little guy's name is Sandesh Chhetri. His Mom is from the Philippines and his Dad is from Nepal. Both parents graduated from our school about five years ago, and are serving God in Nepal.

The doctor at the left is Dr. Mayette Sapaula, who delivers all of IGSL's babies. It's her special ministry to our school. She is my favorite obstetrician in the whole world! She has delivered literally thousands of babies. Each time, she holds the child in her arms for a moment and prays for his life and future. On my left is the baby's auntie.

This is Sandesh with his Mom. Dad is still in Nepal. He is scheduled to arrive next Monday. Sandesh was expected to arrive a week later, and Dad fully expected to be here for his birth, but Sandesh had other plans. One of my happy chores yesterday was talking to Dad on the phone and telling him that Sandesh had arrived. That was fun -- he was so proud, and insisted that I describe every detail of his appearance. His main question . . . "Does he look like me???" I took these photos to email to Dad.

I spent the night at the hospital trying to help Mom and Baby get the hang of breastfeeding. I am much too old to be waking up every two hours. But I loved every minute of it.


2 comments:

The Christian's said...

I want that job! What a joy to get to witness the miracle of birth and help a new mama!

Anonymous said...

I just had a taste of your ministry and loved it!

Ruth