Saturday, February 21, 2009

Favorite Photos from Khulna

I've been home from Bangladesh for over a week, but then had to leave again for our annual IGSL retreat. Now, at last, the promised random favorite photos. With my random thoughts about the trip.

I loved traveling with Gerri, my friend and colleague. Some parts of our trip were exotic and elegant, some parts heavy and heart-breaking, but it was all good, learning together, widening our world.
.
The time in Khulna with Hirak and Metali was the best part for me. Metali and I cried like babies when we had to say goodbye. She sent a text message a few days ago and said, "I miss you. Can you come again next year?" I don't even get to see my own children once a year! But I don't want to wait seven years again to visit this dear family.
.We loved going with them to their ministry sites and meeting those who have believed through their faithful witness.

The lady in the white sari (below) was a young bride 20 years ago, living in a big city and expecting her first child, when her husband demanded that she have an abortion. She refused, and ran away (something almost unheard of in her culture). She returned to her own village, gave birth to a son, and raised him alone, working hard to earn enough to care for him. Now that son has a wife and child of his own. This small family became the first believers in their village just a few months ago. Both ladies attended our women's conference, and they were delighted that we visited them in their home. The young man has been sharing his new faith with others in the village.

The girl in the photo below, second from the right with the pretty smile, was the first believer in a different village. I asked her (through a translator) why she decided to follow Jesus. She said, "He's the only one who can forgive me, and the only one I can trust."
.
The rest of the people in the photo are not believers yet, but they attend the meetings and have been listening for several months. The kids sit in front and participate, with the moms behind them, while the dads sit in back or stand outside. But they are all hearing. And we know that faith comes from hearing! I look forward to visiting this village again on my next trip, whenever that might be.

The remaining photos are just sights around Khulna. I tried hard to take lots of photos this trip! Gerri took a lot too, so between the two of us we have a pretty good record of our experience. Tomorrow: favorite photos from Dhaka.

No comments: