In IGSL I teach some classes in the area of Missions, so we talk about culture and worldview. When discussing worldview, we always mention that “behavior” refers to “what is done” in a people group, but there is something underlying that called “values”. This refers to what is important or appreciated in the culture. Deeper still are beliefs and worldviews, but for this week I have just been thinking about values.
I often take Danny outside for a walk when his Mom needs to rest. Danny loves to pick things up as he goes along. One of his favorites is pine cones (which he calls “mine-cones”). When we use the word “favorite” we are expressing our value system. Danny appreciates pine cones. I am not sure why. But I know why I like them. I am imagining them in a Christmas wreath! The pine cones from the trees around here are big, so in my book that gives them more value. I say, “Wow, Danny, that’s nice!” But Danny doesn’t care about size. Sometimes he will let go of a 6-inch complete pine cone, and pick up a 1-inch broken one. Since he only has two tiny hands, he has to make a lot of choices as we walk along. When he lets go of a pine-cone for a blade of grass, or one pine needle, I just smile to myself. But when he decides to pick up a cigarette butt, I go into full Grandma alert! “NO, Danny! Don’t touch! It’s DIRTY!” He looks at me, totally baffled at my reaction, but decides to leave the cigarette butt there. Every time we go for a walk, I am imparting values. He is still a blank slate, but I give him positive or negative feedback with each choice. And so he learns to value what his parents and grandparents value. That’s what happens in every culture.
But why do I value a 6-inch pine cone more than a blade of grass? It has made me think.
No comments:
Post a Comment