Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mothers' Day


So, I've been missing in action for quite awhile! I thought that Mothers' Day would be a good time to make my reappearance in the blogging world.

Being a mother has led me to a major schedule change this year. I'm in Texas mothering my daughter Michelle. She is having a difficult pregnancy, and I am glad that I could come here and help her through these challenging weeks. Her full-time job is to keep growing the little one inside her, and my full-time job is taking care of the house, the diapers, the laundry, the kitchen, and the very active toddler-boy.

Random thoughts about my life these days . . .

1. How I wish I could do something to take away the yucky feeling of nausea that is overwhelming Michelle these days. She's miserable. I know that when we meet the new baby, it will be worth it all, but I wish there was a magic drug that could make her feel good now.

2. Keeping up with Danny is so much fun and he makes me laugh constantly. When I went back to the Philippines in January 2010 after being here for his birth, I grieved that I would not be a part of his life as he grows up. And then, unexpectedly, God gave me this gift! I am suddenly the primary caregiver for now, and from the first moment I arrived he has acted like he has always known me. His name for me has evolved into "Maima" and I love hearing it.

3. Listening to a little one acquiring language is both fascinating and hilarious. I think I will have to do a separate post about that. But for today I will share my favorite word. Jim and Michelle don't like to hear him fussing and whining whenever he wants something, so they taught him to ask nicely by saying "please." The problem is, he can't pronounce it, so it comes out "meese". If he wants a drink, he says "milk, meese". If his toys are stuck in the toybox, he says "help, meese". If he gets himself stuck somewhere, I will hear suddenly hear a loud voice shouting "MEEEEEEEESE!" Precious memories that I never thought I would get to have!

4. Going to WalMart for groceries is still a novelty for this missionary lady. Grocery shopping in the Philippines has moved ahead light-years from when we first went there 32 years ago, but still nothing compares to the thousands of options available in grocery stores here. I can't help comparing the aching poverty I have seen in Asia to the over-abundance that is evident in America.

5. When I flew to North America last month, I traveled via Vancouver, and I was able to spend one evening with Matthew. He is in Law School at UBC, and he really loves it. He has always been a very bright kid who didn't really enjoy school, so it's really nice to see him enjoying his studies. I think he'll be a great lawyer

6. I miss my other children. I am the mother at IGSL -- my job is to watch out for the students and to be alert to see who needs attention and care. I really love my job, and my busiest time of year is when the new students arrive in May. They will be arriving during the next few weeks, and I am sad that I cannot be a part of it this year.

7. Also, God has given me a unique ministry of caring for students who come from non-Christian backgrounds and who do not have believing parents. Some have already graduated and some are still at IGSL. My role is simply to worry about them and encourage them and be proud of them and give them advice and all the other things that parents do. I have several children from Buddhist, Hindu and Muslim backgrounds. Sometimes I believe this is the most significant ministry I have. I am still doing it via internet, but I am dreaming of seeing them in person.

That's my multi-faceted life as a mother. Having children all around the world means I can't be with all of them at the same time. When I imagine heaven, I think that it will be a place where there will be no more separation. Ever. And I long for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this post. You are surely missed here but you are in the right place right now. So glad to hear you are enjoying every bit of your time there with Michelle and Danny. Will pray that God will double your strength to be able to do all the things you need to.
Happy Mother's Day! You're one mother who have the most children scattered around the world.

Love you!
Ruth

Anonymous said...

good to know you are back in america. was wondering why you have not posted something for some time. marilynn and myself just came back from the philippines arriving in saskatchewan april 26th. poor james he is going to be alone for sometime. happy mother's day to you as well as to michelle. Bal