Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Land of Birthdays


The Philippines is the land of birthdays. This country loves celebrating! And everyone's birthday, every year, is a special day. In some other Asian countries, birthdays are not even noticed (to the extent that some of our students can't remember their own birth date without looking it up). But in the Philippines, you can be assured of lots of warm greetings, surprises, and special celebrations. Our other Asian students are quick to pick up this Filipino tradition, and celebrate with their whole hearts. With 200 students in our school, and about 50 faculty and staff, you can imagine that we party a lot.

In spite of the fact that I have been sick, I have already had two parties and I'm told there is another one coming. These photos are from my discipleship group celebration last Monday. Yesterday, the day of my birthday, one of our students personally cooked and served lunch for everyone in my office, just to make me feel special. I felt very special!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow! That cake looks really yummy. Did someone make it? I want the recipe!