
It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it! Sometimes I just have to go and eat ice cream with people! Last Saturday I was relaxing at home when I got a phone call from the IGSL campus , saying that one of our scholarship supporters was visiting. Some of our students are supported by a foundation in California, and for years we have been filling out applications and sending reports to this foundation. I have never met any representative from their organization, but I assumed it was a large group with many people.

Anyway, I hurried off to campus where I met Miss May, a sweet, elderly Chinese lady who was eager to spend time with the students she supports. She just happened to be in the Philippines and thought she would look us up! And she said, "Let's go out for lunch!" So we did. Miss May, our IGSL student Sithon from Laos, and I went to the mall. After we finished our lunch, she said, "Let's go somewhere for ice cream!" Sithon suggested that we introduce her to halo-halo, a special Philippine treat featuring ice cream and twelve other ingredients. So off we went to search for halo-halo.

And as we talked, I discovered that she IS the foundation. When her father died, he left her a sum of money, and her dream was to use it to help educate Asian pastors and equip them for ministry. And she has done that for a few decades now, quietly, from her own home--an unsung hero making an impact all over Asia. My job is so fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment