Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Many Cultures, Many Cures

I often take our IGSL international students to the doctor, or give them advice about their illnesses, or pray with them when they are sick. Having this role through the years has given me the opportunity to hear about a wide variety of treatments for a wide variety of illnesses. It's one of the perks of living in an international community. Some would make my doctor friends shudder, like the time family members vigorously massaged the abdomen of a lady with an infected gall bladder, or when another lady used a large coin to scrape the back of a friend with a severe stomach ache. Neither treatment was effective, but I can't afford to be haughty here, because my advice doesn't always work either!

One important lesson I have learned is that I need to always remember to pray first, whenever someone comes to me with any kind of illness, rather than as a last resort when everything else has failed. The book of James tells us clearly, "Is anyone sick? Let him pray!" I am learning that.

Last week, I was hit with a very severe throat infection that kept me in bed for a week. So, I got to be on the receiving end of the advice this time. I was gifted with a big pot of rasam (Indian pepper soup), a jug of Tibetan ginger tea, a paper packet with a piece of fresh ginger and individually wrapped portions of of Nepalese herbs (pictured above). There was a steady stream of text messages with suggestions like: Drink a cup of hot milk with a teaspoon of pepper and a teaspoon of turmeric! And at the same time, a steady stream of text messages reminding me they were praying.

Not one person suggested chicken soup. But I felt comforted anyway. My life is rich.

No comments: