Sunday, December 21, 2008

Endless Variety

You never know where your day might take you. I started out grading papers yesterday morning, but ended up in the emergency room with some of our colleagues. I think I should re-name my blog "Endless Variety".

Their four-year old fell at IGSL and gashed his head, and it was clear he needed a trip to the ER for stitches. While we were there, I thought, "I could blog about this--it's definitely a typical glimpse of my life." So I whipped out my camera and recorded it for you. Not many people bring their cameras to the ER, but I carry mine everywhere! I took some close-up pictures of the wound too, but decided not to post them for the sake of you who get queasy.
.

This is Seni and Lose from Tonga with their son Simeone after he was all stitched up. The folks at the Children's Hospital near our school are getting to know me well. Three weeks ago I was there with a student family from Kyrgyzstan. I spelled K-Y-R-G-Y-Z-S-T-A-N a few times for the nurse, and explained that, yes, there really is a country in Asia with that name. We had a long wait that day, so I was able to have a very good time making memories with that family. I always tell people that the best bonding times happen in the hospital! Last night we had a good time of fellowship in the ER too, and I only had to spell T-O-N-G-A once.

A year ago, after my third visit to the hospital in one week, the receptionist at the front desk said to me, "Who ARE you???? I always see you in here, but every time you are with someone different. Sometimes they look Chinese, sometimes Indian, always different! Is this your family???" Yep, that's my family, red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.

No comments: