Friday, December 05, 2008

Christmas in the Philippines

There is nothing quite like Christmas in the Philippines. It starts in September and lasts until January. Filipinos know every Christmas carol ever written. I remember during my first Christmas here, I laughed when I heard "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" being played in the stores. But a colleague reminded me, "Where better to dream about it than in the tropics?"

There are parties and celebrations and gifts and games and more gifts and more parties. I looked at my calendar a few days ago and discovered that I have 8 parties to attend in the next two weeks. I suspect that there will be more than that; there are usually some last minute invitations. The particular parties on my list are not hectic or commercialized. They are just good times together with other believers, enjoying the gift of Jesus. The first one is this afternoon at IGSL. Let the parties begin!

(Note: the photo collage above is some of our Christmas tree ornaments collected through the years. We never have a color motif or theme in our house -- it's just "through the years".)

No comments: