My last post was about how our English teacher has moved on to a new chapter in her life. It happened rather suddenly, and we haven't found a replacement for her yet. SO . . . in the meantime, I am teaching English! I have ten students. Since this is the end of the school year, all of them are functional in English now, but they need more help to be able to do graduate level work at the seminary.
For now I am focusing on building their vocabulary so that they can read their assignments and understand their professors. We are doing this by listening to online sermons in English. I've selected websites that also provide a transcript of the message, so they can read it as well as listen to it. I'm helping them "catch" the vocabulary words, as well as the idioms, and helping them find the main ideas of the message. So far, we are having fun!
I am honored to teach this group of people. Technically, they are not qualified to study at IGSL, because they couldn't pass the English requirement. But the Admissions Committee felt that there were compelling reasons to accept them because of their background and potential for ministry in their home countries. Three of them came from Muslim backgrounds, two were Hindu, three were Buddhist, and two were Communist. I don't think I want to spend the rest of my life as an English teacher . . . but I am so happy that I can walk beside these students for this season and help them on their way.
1 comment:
Wow! Wow! Wow!
I'm amazed of what you can do! So proud of you.
I would love to watch and learn how you do it. Really, I would love to hear more about your class. I am planning to open an English class for adult learners, too.
Post a Comment