Sam is shown here with his dad and mom, Ebenezer and Sarah, and me, and an x-ray in his mom's hand, and a cast on his leg. . . and that's what this story is about.
We always tell our students that aside from the IGSL curriculum, which we carefully prepare for them, there is "God's Curriculum," which is prepared even more carefully by our Father. For some reason, many new students go through crises in the first few weeks of their arrival. Either they get sick, or someone back home gets sick, or someone back home dies (yes, really) or they go through a financial crisis. I really can't explain it, but it happens every year. One thing I can say is that what Satan hopes to use for evil, God intends to use for good. (Genesis 50:20). Many times the new student's first response is "I should never have come here! Maybe I should forget about this training and go home immediately." But by the time they graduate, they always have a story of how God worked in their lives, and showed them His goodness in the midst of the trial.
So, Sam and his family arrived in the Philippines from India at the end of April. Three days later, Sam tripped and fell inside his home, and after that he wasn't able to walk. It just happened that our nurse was out that week, and I was in another city for a conference. My assistant called and asked for my advice. I told her to bring them to the Emergency Room and get an x-ray just to be sure. They did that, and the ER doctor said it was nothing serious, and sent them home with pain relievers. I was pleased that it was handled efficiently and I thought that was the end of the story.
I got back from my conference the next day, and Ebenezer and Sarah told me that Sam was still in pain. We observed him for another day, and then decided that something was still not right. So we went to our favorite pediatrician, Dr. Gigi, who has helped us through all kinds of crises through the years. She works in the same hospital where the x-ray was done. So, Dr. Gigi asked to see the x-ray. The ER doctor had not given it to the parents, but it was still in the hospital archives. So we filled out all the paperwork and got the x-ray, and brought it to Dr. Gigi.
When we looked at the x-ray -- there was a clear fracture of the tibia! I still do not understand how the ER missed this the first day. We have used this hospital for many years, and they have always served us well. All I can guess is that the doctor must have looked at a different x-ray. We were referred to a pediatric orthopedic specialist. He put a cast on Sam's leg, and Sam felt better right away, and he wore the cast for several weeks, and then it was removed, and then he was fine. End of story.
Or so I thought.
About two weeks later, Ebenezer told me, "Sam has fallen again, and he can't walk!" So back we went to Dr. Gigi, who ordered a new x-ray . . . and yes, it was broken again! Same leg, same place. Back we went to the specialist. Same story, chapter two. He put a cast on Sam's leg, and he felt better right away. Sam thinks that wearing a cast on his leg is a normal part of life.
I always say that the best discipleship happens in hospital waiting rooms. In the midst of the tears and the unanswered questions, we cut to the serious issues of life and faith. Ebenezer and Sarah and I have gotten to know each other much better through this saga. Sarah is in my Iron Sharpening Group, and I look forward to the next three years of walking through life together. Only God knows why He included this in His curriculum, but we are confident that He intends it for good.
No comments:
Post a Comment